Monday, November 23, 2009

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Hysteric"

I was kind of cold to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs at first - maybe it was 'cause their first album Fever to Tell was a little too abrasive (but it gave us one of the 00s best love songs, Maps) - and I never bothered listening to their second album till much later. But 2009's It's Blitz runs its grooves all over you like a well-tended set of tires. Karen O's voice swells over Nick Zinner's neon guitar work and Brian Chase's four-on-the-floor drumming. Zero and their second single Heads Will Roll are good other listens.

The song Hysteric is one of the album's slower tracks, along with Runaway, but this is the kind of song that can appreciated in another state of mind - strip apart the layers, the glam, and the eccentric wardrobe - and you'll learn to love them. I dunno what needed to age first - their music or me. I'm thinking it might have been me. -- PC

No comments:

Post a Comment