Friday, December 4, 2009

"If you can't do it right, you can always do what's left"


Them Crooked Vultures. I've heard mixed opinions. I have mixed opinions, but there's a few songs that are just too good for anyone to ignore in my very unhumble opinion.

The album opens up with the crunchiest of the crunchy, "Nobody Loves Me and Neither Do I." This song is phenomenal for a few reasons. For one, it manages to combine all three of the individuals,

(Random aside: In what order do you name the three founders of the band? Go first with the traditional lead singer who kinda sucks compared to the others, go with the most important historically from the best band of all time, or the one who is arguably the most important rock star in the world right now and was the catalyst for the project in the first place? Alphabetical? Do they draw straws? No matter what, I'm fucking bitter I missed seeing them in concert. BUT ANYWAYS....)

...it manages to combine all three's individual talents in an extremely complimentary way.

The song starts out with Josh Homme's lyrics over a pure Queens of the Stone Age stoner rock jam bit with some silly lyrics:

"Well if sex is a weapon, then smash, boom, pow,
How do you like me now?

You can't always do it right, you can always do what's left

So I told her I was trash, she wait til after and said I already know...
I've got a beautiful place to put your face and she was right,"

What holds this all together better than your typical QOTSA song is Dave Grohl's drumming. Much like Jimmy Chamberlin pushing along Billy Corgan's silliness on guitar, Dave Grohl keeps the song moving and kicking ass, for the lack of a better term. Then we get into a little bridge that starts picking up pace and makes you wonder, but wheeeeeere's John Paul Jones? Gimme some bass, yo!

And then it happens.

There's a brief pause...and the heaviest 2.5 minutes recorded in AT LEAST 15 years takes over.

"CUT IT!!!!!!!!"



Listen to the song and you'll understand very quickly. In the meantime, I'll be headbanging. Also, check out the listed below:




No comments:

Post a Comment