Sunday, November 8, 2009

Pixies - "Dig for Fire"


So some time ago, I learned that the Pixies are going on tour this November as a 20th Anniversary celebration of their classic album, Doolittle. Kinda like Bruce and his Born to Run concerts, the Pixies are playing the album in its entirety and throwing in rarely heard b-sides and what not. Pretty cool.

Last week, I learned that the Pixies have put out a free 4 song EP of some live concert cuts from the tour which just began. Very cool.

(If you go to Pixiesmusic.com and submit your email, they'll send you a link where you can download the songs from. The track listing is: 1. Dancing the Manta Ray / 2. Monkey Gone to Heaven / 3. Crackity Jones / 4. Gouge Away)

So with my first foray into this blogging thing, I urge you to listen to those songs and another, "Dig for Fire, " which I think is one of the coolest in their whole catalog.

I wouldn't say it is the most representative song of the Pixies' sound. The sudden changes in pitch or tempo one comes to expect from the group is largely absent. What it does host is the most beautiful and delicate melody of any Pixies song this fan can recall. I love me some layered sound in general, and this song better than any other molds a few simple chords into a driving, catchy as hell sound. I especially love the second chorus where they laregely let the lead guitar do all the talking at the song's climax. Super, super catchy.

Also cool: the single's b-side was a song named "Allison." It was written as a tribute to the Talking Heads. I love it when my favorite bands associate and pay respects like that. That's frickin' cool.

Check out the tunes below.


No comments:

Post a Comment