Monday, November 9, 2009

Julian Casablancas - "11th Dimension"


I was never a big fan of Julian Casablancas' band, The Strokes. I've given them a few listens here and there, have a few songs on my ipod, etc. I remember my friend Ruben used to talk about them like they were the second coming and it was playing non-stop in his car way back when their first album came out, but I never got into them much. Not a hater, but not a huge fan either. So when I heard the lead singer Julian Casablancas was putting out a solo album, it was barely a blip on the radar. No more.

I like this song a lot because it's like any upbeat synthy 80s dance track, only it's unique in that it's got a lil fuzz on it and sounds like it was made in Julian Casablancas' bandmates' garage. It's funny, now as I write this, Depeche Mode has popped on the ol' shuffle as the aforementioned song finished up. There's a ton of similarities, only "Enjoy the Silence" sounds a lot cleaner and more sterile while Mr. Casablancas' sounds a lot dirtier and soulful. The best way I can think to describe it is this: it's like you've got an mp3 of a new wave song of so-so sound quality and you're playing it really loud, but on crummy speakers so there's some static and it sounds kinda bad--only in this case, it actually sounds even more awesome. I like them both, but I like "11th Dimension" better right now. It's a really fun song. Let me know what you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment